Monday night was the first dress up night. Here we are at the Captain's cocktail party and later we attended the Captain's dinner.
The town was very colorful and the merchants were definitely into bartering. It was hard to know when to accept a price as being rock bottom. Personally, the bartering became a pain in the neck pretty quickly for me since I am not much of a shopper. Laura had asked for a Mexican blanket so we bought that and a few t shirts and baseball caps and headed back to the ship.
Definitely in contrast to Costa Maya was the well developed Grand Cayman island which we visited on Thursday. A friend who is a frequent cruiser had warned us that the prices here were very high and he was right. In fact, the American dollar was worth a whole lot less here than anywhere else we went. When we made purchases, the prices on our receipts were very different from the prices marked on menus and price tags so it was hard to guess how much we were spending ahead of time.
We did get to visit Margaritaville - and it was definitely five o'clock there all the time! There are actually two letterboxes in Grand Cayman but again, time restrictions prevented us from looking for them, much to Bill's relief.
In addition to the formal dining rooms, there were a group of counters outside, around the pools offering different foods. There was a pizza counter, a buffet for each meal, a deli, a counter which offered a food of a different nationality each day, an Asian counter and of course, a hot dog and burger counter. I only had a few foods which I didn't like - the scrambled eggs were a little gross and one of my new foods - eggs benedict - truly disgusted me. Other than those, I have to say that one of the best parts of the cruise was definitely the food.
This was the view in the interior center of the ship. It was very dark but I think you can see the different levels. There were two shops, one a general store type of place with sundries and souvenirs and the other a jewelry shop. We quickly found out that jewelry is one of the most available items to purchase on the ship and at all of the ports. In fact, there were even classes held which told you how to buy the jewelry and which shops were trustworthy and which offered guarantees. Since I am not a jewelry type of girl, these were pretty useless to me, especially once we visited a jewelry store in Grand Cayman which had armed guards and doberman pinchers walking around. We were rather amused to have a sales person give us prices on Hamilton watches from Lancaster, PA, at over $1200. His justification was that they were very comparable to a Rolex which sells for $6000! Yeah, right.
One of the other levels in this picture was dedicated almost entirely to the pictures which the ship takes all day long and then tries to sell. We must have had our picture taken 50 times while we were attending various functions and we ended up buying none of them.
One of the other levels in this picture was dedicated almost entirely to the pictures which the ship takes all day long and then tries to sell. We must have had our picture taken 50 times while we were attending various functions and we ended up buying none of them.
The third best part of the cruise after the food was the shows which were given in the big theatre - the Caribbean Lounge. They ranged from comedians to singers to Las Vegas type shows and were all wonderful. I managed to attend many of these since they were offered at two different times and I was able to stay awake for the early one.
This is a view of one of the pool areas and in the background is my favorite part of the whole trip - Ocho Rios, Jamaica. When you look at the pictures of Costa Maya and Grand Cayman, you can see how flat the land is. Jamaica was absolutely gorgeous from this first site of it to the last one. The mountains there were green and covered with tropical trees and I fell in love with the area even before I set foot on it.
Then when we got on the land and met the people, who all seemed to be tall, thin and beautiful, I was even more entranced. Here a group of island women performed for us on the beach prior to our visit to Dunns Falls River. There were little dances and songs going on all day on the beach. The people were soft spoken and always had a smile on their faces.
This guy was actually named - he is Monster, one of the largest alligators in this particular area of the Everglades. When we first spotted him, he was gliding through the water carrying a piece of wood. We were told that they actually build homes in tunnels under the land in the Everglades. Our guide gave us a pretty amazing statistic. If you walk through the Everglades, you have more of a chance of catching a disease from cuts from the sawgrass which grows there and walking through the dirty water than of being attacked by one of the 1.2 million alligators and crocodiles there. We went to a show after the boat ride and the trainer had actually trained a croc and an alligator to come when he called their names. And he fed them by hand with his face about a foot away from their snapping jaws - not a job that I would like.
Since we have been home, everyone has asked me how we liked our cruise and I have to admit most of the time, I was pretty bored. I guess I am more at ease in the woods and also more entertained there. One of the things which we did right was to get a room with a balcony. I spent a lot of time there reading because laying around a pool all day with hundreds of people around is not my idea of a fun time. Walking around decks with a view of miles and miles of ocean on one side and the walls of the ship on the other provided needed exercise but was not as rewarding as walking through the woods. I was also surprised and disappointed that we didn't see one beautiful sunrise or sunset. There was a haze over the horizon most of the time which blocked any colors from shining through. Of course, there were highlights, Ocho Rios was my favorite one but as a whole, it was not exactly what I was hoping for in a vacation. It was an experience which I am glad that I had but not one that I plan on repeating.
Since we have been home, everyone has asked me how we liked our cruise and I have to admit most of the time, I was pretty bored. I guess I am more at ease in the woods and also more entertained there. One of the things which we did right was to get a room with a balcony. I spent a lot of time there reading because laying around a pool all day with hundreds of people around is not my idea of a fun time. Walking around decks with a view of miles and miles of ocean on one side and the walls of the ship on the other provided needed exercise but was not as rewarding as walking through the woods. I was also surprised and disappointed that we didn't see one beautiful sunrise or sunset. There was a haze over the horizon most of the time which blocked any colors from shining through. Of course, there were highlights, Ocho Rios was my favorite one but as a whole, it was not exactly what I was hoping for in a vacation. It was an experience which I am glad that I had but not one that I plan on repeating.
Welcome Back! You look marvelous in the pictures!
ReplyDeleteGlad to have you home!
PP
Looks like a nice vacation. The Dunn's River Falls photos brought back memories of our honeymoon in Jamaica MANY years ago!
ReplyDeleteWe've never done a formal cruise because it just doesn't seem to be a good match for our style. However we had a lot of fun on a Windjammer cruise. Much more casual.
Have fun with some spring boxing!
Wisconsin Hiker
Glad you are back. WOW, it looks like you had just a fantastic time.
ReplyDeleteWell I'm glad I helped you get some training in to get ready for the falls! =)
ReplyDeleteGlad you're back
Sheba