Saturday, November 05, 2011

Windmills

 Three years ago we drove from Pennsylvania to South Dakota and I had fallen in love with the sight of the eerie fields of windmills of Minnesota.  There is something so mesmerizing watching the slow churning of their paddles and listening to the "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" sound that they make.  A lot of people in this area have signs posted against the windmills so I know that not everyone is as enraptured as I am with them but I find them fascinating to see.  I was on my way to Shanksville for my annual visit to Flight 93.  I knew that there had been about a half dozen windmills visible from the crash site on previous visits but I was totally unprepared for the huge number that had sprouted up since my last visit.  Windmills everywhere!  I stopped and just enjoyed watching them for about a half hour before I continued on my travels.
If you have never seen any of these windmills in person, it is hard to imagine the sheer size of them.  They tower above local trees, capped by local laws to not surpassing 85 feet in height.  I would love to see one of these monsters being constructed.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment