Saturday, December 20, 2014

And This is How It Began - October 11, 2003

Every year I have a winter project and this year's project is to organize all of my digital photos.  I am an avid picture taker, I don't go anywhere without my little point and shoot cameras, and although I am pretty good about backing all of my photos up, I am not good at remembering what I have already backed up.  So many of my photos are backed up numerous times - not a bad thing, I know, but a little daunting when I am looking for an old photo.  So my new computer with lots of space now contains every digital photo that I can find and I am having a great time reminiscing as I go through them all.  Sometimes I laugh at what I find and sometimes I cry.  One group of pictures that made me do both was this set that I found of my very first letterbox find on October 12, 2003.  I can laugh because it was funny to realize that I had walked this trail so many times and never knew it's secrets and I cry because I did it with my precious little sidekick, Barney.  Barney and I quickly became a letterboxing duo using the trail name of Team Little Dog.  His little legs ended up walking so many trails with me and I was so sad when he got too old to do this easily any more.  His spirit was always willing but his body was slowing down.  Two years ago, on December 29, we were forced to let my little partner go to the Rainbow Bridge and I rarely plan a letterboxing hunt without considering if my Barney could do it or not. But this box, Barney was with me as I discovered this new part of my life that remains a strong part of it 11 years later.
It all began on the Exeter Scenic River Trail, a trail about a mile from my house, with the box appropriately called the Exeter Scenic Trail Rocks.  The box was placed by DiverDM, someone who must have come and gone in the hobby pretty quickly, but it was maintained by Silent Doug.  I was so impressed when a few months later I met Silent Doug at my first gathering in Palmyra NJ.  But....back to my memories of box number 1.  Barney was very familiar with this trail and he would walk it confidently with me trailing behind.

 We followed the clues down the trail to the overpass bridge, not sure what we were going to find when we got there.
 The scenery was pretty as the fall colors reflected on the Schuylkil River.
 
 
 Shortly after this overpass is a rock grouping, high on the hill.  I am not sure how I coaxed Barney to climb the hill with me but he did it and this was our reward - my very first letterbox and the beginning of many years of memories and good friends.
 These last two pictures are from our walk the week before my discovery but they are of two of my great loves of 2003 - my pre grandkids days.  Barney, my sweet little boy, and my Rav4.  Yes, I know it is strange to love a car, but I did love that car.  It was with me through as many experiences as Barney was and I cried when I traded it in on a new Rav4.  I like my current Rav4 but I loved my Little Toy and it served me well.  Barney - well he just gave me a lot of pleasure and I miss him every day.
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear dear Barney of Team Little Dog. What a partner for letterboxing and grand friend he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's adorable. I'm sorry I never met him. :(

    ReplyDelete