Friday, May 11, 2018

State Park Quest - Tyler and Washington Crossing

I have a great friend, Peggy, who is not a letterboxer but who is willing to accompany me on some of my crazy letterboxing excursions.  This day, she came with me to fulfill my State Park Quest at Tyler State Park and Washington Crossing State Park.  It was a beautiful, clear, comfortable spring day as we started out at Tyler State Park.
 We decided to hike the Neshaminy Creek Trail and had to first cross the Schofield Ford Covered Bridge.  It took us a while to get through the bridge because we were both busy taking pictures.

Peggy snapping away!
 Restful view of Neshaminy Creek.
 I have no clue who these people are but I liked the silhouettes in the bridge.
 We had had a lot of rain in the past couple of weeks so the creek was full and beautiful.  The trails were also muddy for the same rain. 
 We ran into a little garter snake as we were jumping around the mud puddles.
 In spite of the mud, the walk was lovely and very green.
 Spring wildflowers were in abundance.  Peggy got hooked on taking pictures of ALL of them!
 Even the steps back up to the parking lot looked pretty on this spring day.
From Tyler, we moved on to the Washington Crossing State Park which is a very different type of park from Tyler.  Tyler is a typical park with lots of trails and picnic tables and places to relax.  Washington Crossing is full of history and so many things to see that one doesn't have much opportunity to relax.  We started out at the Vistor Center so I could collect my state park stamp and were invited to attend the showing of the video about the history of the park which was just ready to start.  We were really happy that we did as requested, the video was helpful although it did cause us to ask ourselves many questions, mainly, why did it take Washington 14 hours to get his troops across the river which looked as though it we could reach out and touch the other side (not literally!) from where we stood.
When I got home, I did look a little deeper into our question and found the answer on the park's website.
After the visitor center, we made a quick trip up to Bowman Hill Tower.  Although it we were tempted by the guide who was there, we didn't make the climb to the top, something that I regret today. 
 I love old doors and the tower door was an interesting one.
From the tower, we headed to the Wildflower Preserve where Peggy was in heaven - lots of wildflowers to photograph!
 Peggy's enthusiasm for taking pictures of wildflowers was contagious and I began snapping some of my own.  Too bad I don't know what they are! 
 All in all, a great day.  A good friend, beautiful places to visit and two new state parks under my belt.


No comments:

Post a Comment