Wednesday, September 05, 2018

The Whispering Giants

I have spent the past nine days at our home in Florida, recovering from a very busy summer of helping my daughter and my two grandchildren and preparing for a very intense couple of month helping my husband recover from surgery.  These two weeks were the only times that I have had for a long time where no one needed me so we decided to make the most of it and I drove to Florida.  My main thoughts as I was driving the 1000 miles to get here dealt with what fun and exciting thing I would do first.  And now, this is my last day here and I have gone so many places and done so many neat things and I was prepared for this to be just the day that I would clean up the condo and prepare to leave in the morning.  But....I had a couple of things left on my to do list.  One of those was to visit the Peter Wolf Toth gallery in Edgewater.  I was familiar with Peter's Whispering Giants from letterboxing.  Years ago, I found a box based on his Williamsport, Pennsylvania Giant #65.  This is the photo I took of this masterpiece in 2006.
So, today, the last day of my "ME" vacation, I decided to go find Peter Toth's gallery.  And, boy, did I find it.  Not only did I find the gallery but I also met the wonderful sculptor, Peter Wolf Toth!  I was cruising by the gallery, trying to determine where would be the best spot to take a photo when I saw some movement between the pictures and sculptures and a man appeared with a watering can.  It was the artist himself.  He signaled me to stop and asked me if I knew his work.  I told him I did and that I loved his Whispering Giants.  In addition to my PA encounter, I have also seen the two that he has in Delaware and one in Virginia.  He then asked me if I wanted a copy of all of his Giants' locations and pointed to a stack of papers hanging near the entrance to his gallery.  

I got out of the car and retrieved one of the papers and then Peter and I had a very interesting conversation about his work and which I had seen and what his new work is...oh, it is a Giant for the Amazon!  The man was very easy to talk to but soon it was time to go.  I asked him if I could take some pictures and he told me "Take as many as you want but once you have enough, don't take any more."  I happily walked around and snapped a few pictures and marveled at what had just happened to me.










 



No comments:

Post a Comment