Friday, November 18, 2011

Buchanan's Birthplace State Park

 Before I left the area, there was one non-letterboxing side trip that I wanted to take.  I had seen signs for Buchanan's Birthplace State Park on previous visits to this area but it was always too far out of our way to make the visit.  But today was the day to see what was there.  I traveled for about a half hour through the beautiful mountains in Bedford County and then into Franklin County before I finally reached this park on the top of one of those mountains.  James Buchanan is the only American president from Pennsylvania.  I wish I could say that he represented our country well but his reputation is that he was one of the worst presidents our country has ever had.  However, he WAS president and he WAS from Pennsylvania so he has his place in our history.  I had wondered before I visited the park why there were no letterboxes there because although it is a very tiny park, it is very pretty and would be a nice spot to bring other letterboxers.
 I am not sure what I was expecting to find in this park but this was not it.  This pyramid is the only real landmark that I saw on the single road which was probably not more than a half mile long and which cuts through the 18 acre park.  There was a picnic pavilion before the pyramid and one after the pyramid and surprisingly, on this beautiful autumn Sunday in this tiny park, both were in use.
 
 It was time to head for home and I snapped this last picture as I left beautiful Franklin County.

No comments:

Post a Comment