Saturday, January 03, 2015

The End of an Era

I am in mourning....deep, deep, deep  mourning.  For many years of letterboxing, I have been plotting every new box in certain areas on my Microsoft Streets and Trips program.   Pennsylvania, central Florida, Delaware and Maryland are the main locations that I focus on.  Whenever we plan a trip, I plot the boxes for the vacation areas we will be in.  As you can see from this small sample, there are tons of boxes to look for in my local area.  Since I have been using this program for about ten years, many of the older boxes may be missing but I have them plotted so I can check it out for sure if I am in their vicinity anyway. 
In June, I bought a new computer and moved the program onto it, and last month, I went to the Microsoft website to check for new updates, only to find this terrible message.
 Fortunately, I did purchase the CD for this program the last time I updated it so I can install my maps onto future new computers, but the news made me very sad.  There is no way to move all of these plotted boxes onto any of today's programs so I am planning on placing my CD in our firesafe, earthquake proof, water resistant lock box.  Most likely it will still be there long after I am gone and my grandchildren will pull out this dinosaur of a program and wonder just how their Mimi used it.

No comments:

Post a Comment