Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Not so Dreary Day in Frederick, Maryland

At the spur of the moment on a dreary, drizzly, cold day in March, I decided to head for some boxes that I had mapped out in Frederick, Maryland, about a two hour drive from home.  As it turned out, the rather unpleasant weather worked out really well for me since most of the planned boxes were short walks or drivebys.  I made it to my first stop just as the sun was coming up and enjoyed some of the buildings in the area as I collected some name brand logos around the carillon tower.  I am nuts about pretty doors so the tower's door started my day out well.
 
From the carillon, I moved in town a bit to a terrific series placed by Night0wl.  She has a large number of AiPP (Art in Public Places) boxes and Frederick was the home of  seven of them.  Here is where the dreary weather really helped me.  The art really IS in public places and Night0wl has very cleverly hidden these boxes in the middle of them.  If the weather would have been better, I am sure that the Carroll Creek walkway would have been packed making it painfully difficult to look for our little goodies.  I was pulled between being sure that I captured all of the boxes and also that I captured all of the art work along the creek.
 
 
  
This stone look was actually a facade over the concrete bridge.
 
 
 Even the sidewalk had art in it.
 
 
 Some old artwork still remained.

Final stop of the day took me to a mansion.  I have to admit that it was not my idea of a real mansion but it was very pleasant to look at and much larger than some historical houses I have visited.  The total box experience here, as with most Wood Thrush boxes that I have found, was very well done..
So, in spite of a bad weather day, which as you can see from the blue clouds below turned pretty nice, I had a wonderful experience for my day in Maryland, much better than I would have had at home in front of the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment