It is February....in Pennsylvania....two weeks after a 30 inch snow storm....gotta get out of the house!!! OK, maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration considering we had 60 degree weather a week before the blizzard but I did really want to get out of the house and move around and the snow was still hanging around here. So, my friend, Aunt Cake, who resides two and a half hours north of me informed me that they had had no snow and since I already know that the area between Scranton and Binghamton NY contains a plethora of boxes, I plotted a group of drivebys and short walks. I started out my day by enjoying a beautiful winter sunrise while waiting for it to be light enough to begin my first search.
History, beauty and letterboxes, what a great combination as I learned about lenticular truss bridges..
From the bridge, I headed down the road a bit to the first of many cemeteries that I would visit this day. I was saddened to see this little gravesite which was referenced in the clue by Banqchef. The child who was buried here was the same age as my beautiful little Squeaks and I just couldn't imagine the pain that this little boy's family must have gone through.
As I pulled away from the cemetery, I caught sight of this interesting structure. I am not sure what it is, perhaps a windmill of some sort, but it sure was eye catching.
Another graveyard that I visited was out in the middle of nowhere. I searched for a series there by Aunt Cake who calmly stated in the clues that I was in black bear territory. So besides being a bit spooked by thoughts of bears as I searched for the boxes, I then noticed this little girl's face in the tree keeping an eye on me. I wonder what she was thinking!
Another cemetery, another interesting headstone. I espcially liked this one because The Immobile One that I live with fancies himself a visitor from another planet. The caption at the bottom of this stone reads "He sought the stars and found them."
From here I headed to the Starrucca Viaduct where I met up with Aunt Cake.
We headed for this scary looking bridge to search for some of the boxes. After taking two steps onto the bridge on the right, I knew that I couldn't go any further. In fact, my fear of heights had me doubting I could even get back safely on land from where I stood. The bridge was built of old railroad ties with several inches of empty air between them. I could see the cold water moving below me and I literally froze.
Aunt Cake to the rescue!!! I was shamed as she bravely walked back and forth across the bridge to retrieve her letterbox for me and then returned it when I had stamped in.
As Aunt Cake took her walk, I took pictures of the nearby chickens and roosters.
I left Aunt Cake and traveled to yet another cemetery where I was amused to find this note in the logbook.
No comments:
Post a Comment