I was having a rough day. My daughter was in the emergency room and we were keeping my grandchildren while anxiously awaiting word on Laura's condition so my emotions were rather fragile. I quickly glanced at Atlas Quest and saw an email that there was a new Pennsylvania box. When I looked at the clues, I immediately broke down crying. The boxes called Pop's Eyes Were Blue were in memory of our father who passed away last July. Sepia Slipper, aka Karen, my little sister, has just returned to letterboxing after a several year hiatus and she had been telling me that she had prepared some special boxes and needed a very special place to place them. She didn't give me any other details. So I tried to remember a very nice park in the vicinity of where Sepia Slipper lives and I told her about a wonderful boxing experience that I had a few years ago finding Silly Moosehead's Looney Tunes series in SGL 211. Guess where Pop's boxes ended up! Causing even more emotion for me was the email that I received a half hour later announcing yet another new PA series called Big Sister. Guess who the Big Sister is! I have to admit that giving this a "This is Why I Letterbox" designation is mostly emotional but the trail and the stamps are every bit as deserving. Thank you so much, Karen, for the thought and work you put into these memory boxes.
As I logged in to the boxes, I was happy to note that our woods are finally greening up. I had arrived to the trail in the middle of a rainstorm which did end about a half hour later but everything in the woods had that hazy damp feeling to it. Still beautiful though.
There obviously was some type of civilization in these woods as detected with the various bits and pieces of ruins.
When I saw this ruined tree from a distance, my first thought was that a Peter Toth Sleeping Giant had appeared out of nowhere. Even though it wasn't a work of art, it was a tree worth photographing.
I had been introduced to "trail trees" by the Silvan Lady while finding some of her boxes in Nescopeck State Park. When I had been on the SGL trail previously, I had no idea that the bent trees that I was passing were probably markers created by Indians to give directions to fellow travelers.
I can't end this blog segment without mentioning that my brother in law, John, is an excellent cairn builder!
No comments:
Post a Comment